Sunday, March 23, 2008

Almost The End...

I can't believe my time at Langara is almost done. I have 2 shifts left in my preceptorship at the burn unit and then a couple days of classes and that's it! I had an interview to work on the unit last week and I think it went pretty well. I applied for a .8 position which is 3 days on, 6 days off rather than the full time of 4 on 5 off. The fact that I want a part time position will actually help me get the job.
It's too bad I didn't blog more during my preceptorship because I've been able to see a lot of neat things. My preceptor, Cathy, has been phenomenal and I've been lucky to have such a good mentor. I really love the unit and I hope to work there for at least a year. I contacted doctors without borders to see if, when I'm ready to apply, they would be interested in someone who was on the burns/plastics/trauma unit at VGH and they gave me a list of what they prefer so it looks like I will have to switch it up at some point, maybe do some street nursing on the downtown eastside since that's community nursing.
I was visiting Ainslie at her job on the downtown eastside and I actually saw a former patient of mine that I had even written about in this blog. The one at St. paul's who was pretty rude to me and I ended up crying in the bathroom for a while. Ainslie figured she wouldn't recognize me but in actual fact she did. She said "do I know you from somewhere?" and I said "no I don't think so..." and she said "are you sure? you look very familiar...are you an outreach worker anywhere else?" and I said no I wasn't. I guess I just didn't want to see her reaction when I told her who I was.
The last bit of exciting news is that I have been voted by my peers to be one of two emcees at our grad event! I'm pretty honoured and I'm looking forward to it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home